May 30, 2013

react.

bouquet
contrast
pink
Day 30/31: React to this term: Letting Go

Hmmm. Well, if I were to react to this term, I would note that I prefer the term Let Go over Letting Go. And that's only because I think that Let Go is more of an action-filled term that's filled with determination to well, let go.

I would also say that when it comes to letting go, I tend to be a bit of a control freak--especially when it comes to letting go of the plans I've made for myself. I've always been a bit of a control freak, liking my room to be neat and tidy, liking my sandwiches to be cut a certain way, and even liking my pens to have their caps on them at all times.

So when it comes to letting go of my plans, I think we all know that I struggle with that. But I want to stop letting go and just let go. I want to stop making it an I'll-do-it-tomorrow or I'll-completely-let-go-of-it-tomorrow kind of thing. I want to simply let go of the plans I made for myself, the deadlines I set for God, and the fairytale romance that I once wrote in a secret journal.

Those are my plans, not His. They're plans that, while as good as they may be, are not the plans He's made for me. More importantly, they weren't God's perfect plans that I know and believe will end with true and fulfilling goodness.

So today, I pray that you'll join me as I let go of my plans. And while it's easy to think that letting go means you'll end up with nothing, I want you to know that it's just the opposite. Because it's when we let go of our plans, fears, or bad habits that we're able to pick up hope, trust, and love for Him. And that, my friends, is the best kind of trade off I could ever think of.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, 
and do not lean on your own understanding. 
In all your ways acknowledge him, 
 and he will make straight your paths. 
Proverbs 3:5-6


16 comments

  1. Your photos are so pretty and soft. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! These photos were the result of a spur of the moment photoshoot with some peonies from my grandparents so I was worried the lighting would come out all wonky. But the 50mm saved the day once again! :)

      Delete
  2. I've been struggling so much with this lately! It can be hard to just let go, but when I do God never proves to be unfaithful. So why do I still doubt and fear letting go? Its something I ask myself everyday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in it together, girl! It's definitely hard for me to just let go. It's definitely something easier for me to say than actually do. I often feel like I'll let go of part of my life but I have a really hard time putting my whole life in His hands. And you're so right, why doubt when we see God's faithfulness in everything He does? Thank goodness for God's grace, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Girl..those flowers...they are my favorite, I had them in my wedding boquet. I love them. Second, letting go is one of the hardest things for me. I thought I was starting to figure it out, then I got married...oh my :) He is continuing to refine me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peonies are gorgeous, aren't they? They're one of my fave flowers, too! And I bet they looked gorgeous in your wedding. Do you have photos of them on your blog or wedding photos in general? I'd love to see photos of your special day!

      And so glad you can relate about letting go! It's something I struggle with all the time. Thank goodness God wants to work in and through us our whole lives! :)

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful and so true! To let go of the plans we've made for ourselves requires having faith in the divine plan and course of our lives. I love this perspective. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you're right, it does require a lot of faith--something that I'm continually striving to have more of. :)

      Delete
  5. Working on letting go of a lot! Although, I like really like how you put it...I need to just let go...instead of being "working" on letting go. Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us, friend! It's so hard for me to just let go and not cling onto these things. I have a feeling it has to do with fear of what could happen if I just let go. Of course, it's funny because if anything, God's been amazingly faithful to me and has done nothing but good in my life. Good thing He's got a lot of patience and grace for me! :)

      Delete
  6. Just experienced one of my biggest trials of faith with "letting go" and trusting God to provide, and as scary as it was, He answered my prayer! I love this post and your faith, girl! God is smiling down at you and has awesome plans for your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that my post and my need to let go lines up with your letting go! Seriously, that is just another great God-planned coincidence. :) Thank you for reminding me of how God's working in your life--hearing and reading these examples of faith really help me. Like really. :)

      And thanks girl, your encouragement is much appreciated!!

      Delete
  7. Praise the Lord that He has our lives all planned out. Even though it seems hard to let go, it's wonderful knowing He is in control! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! It's definitely hard to let go, but it's when I actually let go that I feel so much relief and comfort. :)

      Delete
  8. Girl this is a constant struggle of mine! I have to just "let go" constantly, every day. I am trying to make a constant effort every single day to trust God--but it's so dang hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great new habit to take up! I'm loving that--making letting go become a daily routine. Love that (and thanks for the idea!) and I agree with you 100%, it's definitely hard to do!

      Delete

© IN ITS TIMEMaira Gall